22 Jun How to Lead Like a Coach: 10 key tips for managers
Leadership is not one-size-fits-all, and adopting a coaching perspective can enhance your management style. Learn from these core coaching skills shared by Forbes Coaches Council members:
1. Train your leaders: Tap into the expertise of your top leaders through formal teaching to benefit your organization.
2. Stay Curious: Be curious and attentive, understanding the unspoken and how it affects performance.
3. Ensure Emotional Safety: Demonstrate openness, active listening, and embrace imperfections to drive better results.
4. Encourage Employee Ownership: Instead of telling employees what to do, empower them to take ownership of their ideas.
5. Actively Listen: Practice active listening by letting your team members express themselves without interruption.
6. Educate and Empower: Understand your team’s strengths and weaknesses to strategically align and fill in gaps.
7. Model Expected Behavior: Lead by example and exhibit the behavior you want to see in others.
8. Succeed as a Team: Prioritize the success of each employee and align it with your own success as a manager.
9. Daily Team Check-Ins: Conduct brief daily check-ins with your team, fostering open communication and support.
10. Hold Active Meetings: Consider incorporating movement in meetings to create a relaxed and conducive environment for conversation.